Multimedia content is best enjoyed on a larger screen for an immersive viewing experience. Sometimes, the display size of your laptop may be small and may not provide you the best experience. Casting from your VLC player to Chromecast allows you to view your videos and other multimedia content on a larger TV screen or other streaming devices.
System Requirements To Cast VLC On Chromecast
The VLC player is available for download for free. However, you need to download version 3.0 or higher to cast VLC on Chromecast. Older versions of VLC do not support casting on Chromecast. Another prerequisite for VLC casting on Chromecast is to ensure that your computer from which you will be casting and the streaming device should both be connected to the same wi-fi or Ethernet network. You can directly cast VLC on your TV if its an Android TV, else you will have to use Chromecast for this purpose.
VLC player currently supports apps for Windows, Linux, and macOS. It also allows you the flexibility to cast to Android. You should also note that the file support and compatibility of VLC and Chromecast are different. VLC supports a large number of file types while Chromecast supports limited file types. If you are trying to play file types which are not supported on Chromecast, then they will require conversion which may drain your battery rapidly.
Casting VLC to Chromecast
You need to follow the below-mentioned steps for casting VLC on Chromecast:
- You should first ensure that your VLC and Chromecast are turned on and working properly.
- VLC does not include a casting icon at the moment. You will need to click on “playback” and then go to render and scan to search your Chromecast.
- You will get the list of connected Chromecasts on your display screen. You should select your Chromecast device.
- Now you can use VLC to cast on Chromecast and view it on your large screen TV.
- When you try to play a multimedia file on VLC, you will receive a prompt stating “insecure site”. You should click on the “view certificate” option to view the security certificate of your Chromecast.
- You need to click on “accept permanently” in order to accept your Chromecast’s certificate.
- Once you agree and accept the Chromecast certificate permanently, you will be able to view the multimedia content on your TV screen.
- You should remember to allow VLC through your firewall for it to work and cast properly.
VLC is one of the best and oldest media players which do support almost all of the video formats available. Along with that you can install the additional codecs and can enhance the capability of VLC. The best part comes when you are able to cast VLC on Chromescast, it is such a good combination which works perfectly just because of the fast and easy to use interface of VLC.