Plex makes it pretty easy to watch and organize your media files from one place. Plex is a client-side media player and it requires two application to run. The one is a Plex media player and another one is the Plex media server. In this guide, you will get to know about the download and setup process of Plex on windows.
It becomes quite hassle-free with Plex to organize and watch all your media files like pictures, videos, music, etc across all of the plex installed devices.
What is Plex for Windows?
As said earlier, Plex is a client-side media player which can be used on almost all of the media devices. To run it, you need two setups two files one is Plex media player and another is Plex media server. It is not limited to windows only, you can use it on Linux, Android Box, Smart TV, Apple TV, Firestick, etc.
Difference between Plex media server and Plex media player
The Plex media server basically works like a server where all of the media is stored. You can install the Plex media server on windows or NAS (Network attached storage). On plex media server you can organize all of your files which you want to access with the Plex on any of the devices.
Plex Media Player works as the media player for all of your media stored files on the Plex media server. Also, Plex media player can’t run efficiently without setting up the Plex media server. After setting up your Plex media server, you can access all of your files on Windows, iPhone, Android, Linux or other devices as well.
How To Install Plex On Windows?
In order to install Plex App on windows, you need to follow the below steps carefully, it consists of two parts as said earlier in the first part we will install the Plex media server and in the second part, we will install the Plex media player on windows.
How To Install Plex Media Server On Windows?
- Visit the official Plex media server site and download the latest version of Plex media server for windows.
- After completion of the download, run the installer to start the installation process.
- Wait until the installation process finish.
- After that, hit launch to start and configure the Plex media server on your windows.
- First, it will ask you for signing into your account. You can create the account easily if you don’t have one.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions and continue.
- Now, it will ask you to enter the name of your library. Enter the name and click continue.
- Select “Add Library” and continue to add files on your library.
- On the next screen select all the media files you want to add into your library.
- Now, Name your media library folder. And start adding media files inside the library.
- After adding the media files, click on “Add Library” and continue.
- Finally, click on “Done” and your Plex media server is ready to use.
After creating the Plex media server, Now, you need Plex media player to access all of your files.
How To Setup Plex Media Player On Windows/PC?
To use Plex on all of your devices, you just need the Plex media player for the respective devices. After that, you can stream and access all of your media files which are stored inside your Plex media server from any of the Plex compatible devices.
Steps to install Plex Media Player on Windows
- First of all, Download the latest version of Plex for Windows.
- Once the downloading finish, start the installation process.
- Wait until the installation process finished.
- Now, hit launch to set up your Plex media player.
- You need to enter your same login details which you have used at the time of setting up Plex media server.
- Now you can access all of your files which you have added inside your Plex Media Server.
That’s all, now explore and enjoy Plex with Windows or PC. Now you can install Plex media player on any of the plex supported devices and you can access all of the files across all of the devices.
Wrapping it up
These were the steps for setting up the Plex media server and Plex media Player for windows. Although the setup and installation process is not complicated still if you are facing any problems do let us know by dropping your message inside the comment section.